Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weeks two and three: Still Going Strong! & The Bike Trainer Tips and Techniques Rodzilla Style.



 The Good & The Bad:

Nutrition: As I mentioned in week one’s blog entry; my demise came on the weekends. In an effort to address this untimely issue I am happy to report that I successfully limited my calories for both; weeks two and three. (Record scratching sound inserted here) before you cheer, just realize that simply moved the issue from the weekend to another day during the week. Captain’s Log: I need one cheat day a week or the troops will mutiny!



The little voice in the back of my head says, “You and your diet suck sir!” I was looking at some of the various reports in “Myfitnesspal.com” It breaks down your daily calories specifically showing carbs, fats, and proteins. Apparently I am eating fewer calories but still eating too many foods high in carbs and fats with not enough protein. Well sorry Myfitness, you’re going to have to deal with that for now.

  • Week 2: 4843 Net calories under weekly goal
  • Week 3: 9650 Net calories Under Weekly Goal
  • Week 4 Goal of 10,000 Under

Exercise: What the “H. E. double hockey sticks” (family blog you know) happened? I was super inconsistent. It looks like I did every other day.  Actually my plan was to drastically limit calories and do modest exercises for the month of January. Then after some rapid weight loss, increase calories and conditioning. So I am okay with the last couple of weeks results. However to further show my insubordination to having any resemblance of a formal plan or diet, I have just decided (right this very minute) to change it up this week. I am going to burn 1,000 calories every day (Pounding stake into the ground while beating me chest). Take that (bam!) This might require a move from every other day to “two a days.” As you can see from the graph I burned 1700 calories. How did I do this you may ask?  Saturday, Red Rider and I went for a ride outside up Emigration Canyon, which is one of our favorites, and burned 1700 calories. Now I promised Red Rider an expose, rather a featured article which she will write up to appear in the next day or so stay tuned.



The Bike Trainer which I affectionately named, “The Torture Device.”

I have finally done it; I broke the 60 minute barrier on that blasted contraption. Sure give me credit, but keep in mind I only did it once. I have logged about 8 sessions total and have learned a few tips that help keep me motivated and on the bike. Hopefully you will benefit from the below tips: (PS as always if you have some learning’s please add comments)

  • Don’t let excuses keep you off the bike
  • I have found that if I remove as many obstacles as possible I am more likely to ride: First keep your bike mounted up in the trainer. Layout all your work out items the night before, shoes, gloves, padded shorts, garmin and heart rate monitor.  This way when you wake up earlier you don’t have to think you can just do?

  • Actually eat before taking a ride to nowhere land.
  • Just like a real bike ride, if I haven’t eaten or hydrated well enough I don’t ride for very long. I am actually surprised at how hard I work to go absolutely nowhere, so I can’t just jump on the bike after eating only 800 calories for the day and expect to have a stellar performance. Not happening

  • Have a Goal in mind.
  • I didn’t break the 60 minute mark until I gave myself a goal of burning 1000 calories in one session. I would suggest setting goals like: Ride for a total of XX minutes, or Ride for a total of XX Calories burned, or Intensity Levels or wattage for a specific period etc etc.

  • Pop a good Movie in or Catch up on your favorite TV Series from your Tivo or DVR.
  • This is another reason I broke the 60 minute barrier. I lost track of time and when I looked I was already at 40 minutes and about 500 calories. Plus commercials are intervals time, so why not take it up to 100% and see if you can last the entire commercial break. PS Football sucks because your doing 100% a lot!. The only drawback is you need to turn the TV up loud to be able to hear over the roar of the bike trainer (not good for others sleeping at 5:00 am sorry family)




  • Keep everything close by.
  • Don’t give yourself an excuse to get off, because you may never get back on. I have found that if I keep the remote(s), Iphone, Snacks and Water in reach I keep going and going, and going. See excuses above.
  • Climbing Blocks
  • Still haven’t been able to prove or disprove if this changes the intensity, but I have learned that with something propped under the front tire it takes a little less pressure off my wrist and somehow feels a little more comfortable. As you can see by my picture I may need to invest in a real block. 







  • Towels and Towlies .
  • After a while the sweat really starts to pour, make sure you have a towel or head band or both to help absorb. I have the Cyclops bike thong (Sorry wish this was as cool as it sounds) that helps with organization and sweat protection. You can see below I moved the GPS to work better with that set up. I also have a towel underneath because I am peeling life of my back tire. In retrospect I should have bought a crappy tire to burn up instead of my nice gatorskins. $20 vs. $65










  • Don’t be afraid to stop (well for a few seconds anyway)
  • Just like any other bike ride, you stop for stop lights; you stop at the top of the mountain; you stop to wait up for other riders. You even stop peddling to stretch. Same concept, applies on the trainer. Take a few seconds to adjust, stretch, etc etc. Just don’t get off, cause 8 out of 10 times I don’t get back on. See excuses above.

  • Bike gloves
  • Really? Why? Well, after going for a while I have noticed that my hands start getting slippy on the handlebars. This leads to being uncomfortable, which then leads to an excuse to stop. Gloves are just another sweat absorbing mechanism. And I guess the padding helps as well.
 
Okay these are a few of the tips I have found that make indoor cycling a little more tolerable. Be sure to check back later for the Emigration Canyon ride write up by the lovely Red Rider. Still can’t believe we rode a canyon in January in the rain. WOW

Good Luck and Stay strong through the winter !!!.

6 comments:

  1. Great going Rodzilla! Glad to see you are sticking to it. I biked on the computrainer yesterday and lifted today while I was recovering from the flu... some days you just have to show up. Can't wait to see next weeks weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, sorry about the flu, but way to gut it out. You will enjoy our latest post about riding outside.

      I too am anxious about next week’s weigh in, 1000 calories a night sorta sucks. I ended up doing a mile swim to break up the tediousness. 1 mile = 70 laps. 70 laps equals a long time.

      Keep reading
      Rodzilla

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I've really enjoyed reading your posts since discovering this blog. I'm a fellow local cyclist(skicyclelife.blogspot.com) and though I'm new to the sport, I've sure enjoyed it. One question...with your new bike, how worried are you about road salt? I know with the warm weather it hasn't really been an issue but I'm always wondering if I should have a winter bike. Thanks again for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question: (Short answer Yes I Do worry)

    There is a debate on this subject amongst the group. Secretly I suspect it was just a ploy to get an upgraded bike, but since then I have become green with envy. Deebs, a fellow blogger, has a rain bike for just that occasion.

    If it is wet outside I will often second guess riding because frankly my bike is just to pretty to get dirty. On those days it would be nice to grab the old 1979 Ford F1 Pickup beater bike and hit the roads.

    So most the time I stay off and out of harmful conditions, but on the occasion that I do I wash and wipe it down. I have found that simply green is the best for clean up. After I rinse I make sure and towel it all off and then for good measure I will add a little great to the drive train.

    So again you can see with this amount of effort why I would be reluctant to ride, and if I am passing rides, I am missing the whole point. So yes get a beater, for rainy, snowy, muddy days, and oh hey you could put that in the indoor trainer as well.

    Good Luck
    Thanks for Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time out! That's not even half the story. Just want to hearken back to the heady days of Spring 2011 when I left my new (to me) Tarmac S Works SL2 (aka Saxo bike)on the ceiling hooks in the garage and instead road my Fezzari (read rain bike) on a daily basis. You would not believe the amount of crap I got from Rodzilla/Swedish Matt for expressing those same concerns and opting to use the daily rider to train and on foul weather days and saving Saxo bike for long rides and races. I always new the motivation for their hectoring me was jealousy that they didn't have the same option. Nice to finally see it in print.

      Happy (and clean) riding,

      (im)deebers

      Delete
  4. The answer to any question regarding the amount of bikes one should own is answered with the following formula. If X is the solution, N-1=X. N is the number of bikes you wife or significant other will allow you to own without leaving you. Whatever that number is, one less.

    ReplyDelete